[LMB] being scared, was OT: Australia (was Take Care)

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Jan 3 23:56:51 GMT 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 1:03 PM, quietann wrote:
> I don't have any phobias apart from needles, which can get tricky
> given that I'm diabetic!  But I can cope with any needle that is
> removed quickly... The placement of an IV needle makes me faint.

I did have a needle phobia, and it still hits me from time to time. Having gestational diabetes discovered at 8 weeks (age, weight, family history all combined to make the midwife test me, and then eject me from her practice without time to ask questions once I failed the 3 hr fasting test with its yucky testing fluid), I was involved with more needles than I liked from 10 weeks to delivery. 17 yrs ago, the needle gauge for lancets were much lower/thicker (22 or 24), and it hurt to take the 4x daily finger sticks. At 5 months, I got to add 2 subQ injections of insulin a day. That was really hard, until I found that there were nerve-absent parts on my thighs where, if I went in at an acute enough angle, there was not only no pain, but no sensation, making the injections easier. You can get 33 gauge lancets now, and testers not requiring delicate fingertips.

I admit, I'm not fond of IVs, esp. since my experience with my son's extraction. First IV lock was put in wrong, and it HURT every minute. Come surgery time, it was taken out and a new one put in correctly, but other parts of me were treated rather roughly.  The anesthesiologist I had Friday was amazingly good. If I ever have to have one again, I'll make sure I get pediatric size IV needles.

Marina