[LMB] Pallbearers (was: Boooooooring)

Natali natali.vilic at zd.t-com.hr
Tue Jan 4 13:10:31 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:01 AM Bo Johansson wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:08:59 +0100
>> From: "Natali"<natali.vilic at zd.t-com.hr>
>>
>> It couldn't be Miles, not for his height (shame on
>> you Marian) but because he is the immediate family,
>> and the members of the immediate family cannot
>> traditionally be pallbearers as well.
>
>--- I wondered about this comment, and I think other people have made
>similar comments about immediate family not being pallbearers.
>
>Is this a widespread custom?
>
>I don't think it is like that in Sweden.
*snip

In my country, it is accustomed that immediate family
walks behind the coffin, while (only male) members of
the wider family and/or friends of the deceased may
be pallbearers (that is, people who are carrying/pulling
the coffin towards the grave).

The procession is always in this order:

1. the priest, ministrants and the cantor
2. the bearers of wreaths and flowers
3. the coffin carried/pulled by (male) pallbearers
4. immediate family of the deceased
5. other attendants of the funeral in random order

I suppose there must be differences in customs
of different countries...

Natali