[LMB] (was) Dono - (Now) Is Barrayaran homosexuality a 'MUTATION'?

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:30:54 GMT 2011

On 4 January 2011 14:06, Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:
Anke:
> I keep coming across people claiming that people's first
> judgement of other people they meet being "I'd hit that" or,
> well, "not" is natural, and people who don't do that are damaged.
>
> My point is that though the default personality is taken to
> be non-sexual - i.e., you don't talk about sex except with
> sex partners, you aren't supposed to express sexuality in dress

Last time I went shopping for tops, I had trouble finding any that did
not have deep necklines, and the "women have no choice but to  present
their boobs for oogling" vibe I got from that got on my nerves.

> or manner, sex in advertising and literature is bad, etc.

But advertising is CHOCK FULL of sexy bodies.
Last time I looked, anyway. I haven't been watching TV much in the last years.

> - real living people *don't* always fit this pattern comfortably.
> Some do, some don't.  So you've met people who defy the
> norm. It's their norm.
>
> Even the fact that you remark on their comments as if they
> are not a good thing proves my point, I think. Or do I
> misunderstand you?

I don't think their remarks are a good thing. I don't think that
proves your point, because I think they are at least closer to the
norm than I am, because society at large pushes sex harder than I am
comfortable with.

> My point is that we are generally expected to act as if we are sexless, and any deviation from that (except in certain circumstances of marriage or intimacy) is frowned upon.

My point is that we are generally expected to have, or at least crave
a sex life, even if we are expected to keep the details private.
If you don't want a sex life, something must be seriously wrong with you.

Anke

--
http://ankewehner.de