[LMB] Slash was re: Levels of Sexuality

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Jan 5 15:40:07 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anke Wehner" <anke.wehner at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 4:28 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Slash was re: Levels of Sexuality

> William A Wenrich wrote on 2011-01-05:
>> One of the (many) things that bug me about modern (possibly
>> just American, but I have no proof) culture is the ongoing
>> assumption that all relationships are sexual. History, literature,
>> and personal experience indicate (to me at least) that there are
>> many very close relationships that are not at all sexual.
>>
>> That is probably what disturbs me so much about slash, the
>> assumption that  everything is sex.
>
> Elin B <elbju at yahoo.se> wrote:
>> Well, the standard answer to that objection among slash writers
>> is probably that there are also many close relationships that are
>> not sexual between men and women, and yet heterosexual
>> romance in fiction does not seem to bother those who, like you,
>> single out slash when raising this objection.
>
> To which _my_ answer would be, "It DOES bother me that the only role
> most writers/producers can imagine for a woman is 'love interest'".
>
>> Male-female friendships can be deep and meaningful as well,
>> yet mainstream popular fiction has an overwhelming tendency
>> to ignore this and pair up two people of the opposite sex who
>> are close friends.
>
> IS there a word for "fanfiction centering around romantic and/or
> sexual relationships that are not part of canon"? I thought that was

To a degree it seems "ship" shortened I think  from "relationship."  I ran
into it reading the girlgeniuscomic LiveJournal blog where there were
comment about Agatha-Gil "shippers" and Agatha-Tarvek shippers....

> what slash was, but apparently that's male/male pairings only?
>
> Anyway... if mainstream fiction mostly ignores the existence of
> friendship in favour of pushing romance/sex, and fanfiction authors go
> and shoehorn sex in the few relationships that are friendships, that's
> annoying if you like friendships (and are annoyed by other people's
> fanfiction). Mind, I'm one of the people who avoids fanfiction because
> they have trouble holding canon and fanon separated, so it's a bit
> speculation there.
>
>> Me, I think they kind of have a good point, though by and large
>> I also tend to prefer gen (i.e. fics with not pairings) to slash

I was wondering what "gen" designated...

>> when reading fanfiction. I'm big on really close friendship love
>> in fiction. Only, not just between guys. So I also tend to prefer
>> gen to het, and to femmeslash. And when I do like to read
>> romance I can like slash, gen and femmeslash about equally
>> (depending on the characters involved, naturally).

Slash came out of overheated adolescent females who watched Star Trek....
the 1960s were a different universe than exists today.  There were NO heroic
positive role models in popular culture for emancipated women, women were
nurturing support characters or ditzes or Evil Bitch Queens....