[LMB] Levels of Sexuality

Marian Lesslie marianlesslie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 07:30:51 GMT 2011

2011/1/6 Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu>
> I'm uncomfortable with the implication that the way someone dresses validates
> what someone else wants to do to them.   Clothes do not constitute an invitation.

I'm probably misinterpreting Jeff's comment (one of the many reasons I
wish email had an <irony> tag, or something more helpful than smiley
faces :D) but that viewpoint makes me quite uncomfortable. People
should be able to wear whatever ridiculous over-sexed half-nude items
they want and not be subject to anything more than people mocking
their taste. I'm not saying that people shouldn't mind how they dress,
because there are often drunk people out there who are a problem, but
like Katherine said: clothes do not constitute an invitation.

As for children's sexuality, I think it's interesting to compare two
articles I read this morning. One is about an upcoming photoshoot for
Vogue magazine which is full of young girls who are dressed as adult
models would be
(http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2011/01/vogue-paris-cadeaux.html).
The other is about an exhibition for the Sydney Children's Hospital
which has been cancelled because the boy in one of the photos has no
shirt on (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/why-this-photo-cost-hospital-a-charity-bonanza-20110104-19f54.html).
There's a real contradiction here.

Marian