[LMB] Pallbearers

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 23:57:55 GMT 2011

--- On Thu, 1/6/11, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> Is there some meaning that people ascribe to the direction the coffin is pointing?

Vague memories from Catholic primary school in the eighties tell me that Catholics, at least, feel that the head of a person should be elevated towards Heaven, and taller pallbearers should be at the back, so if there is a tilt, the person is facing the right way and headed up to Heaven, not down to Hell.

> I will never understand the psychology of how society decides to treat corpses.

It is almost entirely emotional.  Sociology majors can and do write 500-page tomes about it.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.