[LMB] Vorkosiverse language

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Sun Jan 9 03:16:49 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of Gwynne Powell
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2011 6:02 PM
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
Subject: Re: [LMB] Vorkosiverse language

> From: Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com

> I need to reach back deep into my father's late and fled-from hillbilly
past and see if I can remember any turns of phrase he's use when he was
kidding.

> "Close the door! Were you born in Silvy Vale, where they only have three
sides to a house?"

I like that one! Our version growing up was, 'Shut the door! Were you born
in a tent?'
or, for some reason, '...were you born in Queensland?'

Gwynne (still wondering about Queensland construction techniques....)

NEW from JRJ> "...were you raised in a barn?"  That's how I heard it,
growing up.  And (while living on the Great Plains), "Ain't nothing between
here and the North Pole but a bob-wire fence, and some darned fool left the
gate open."

"Uncle's going to town, and we're going along with."  Other sayings exist I
can't think of right now.

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone