[LMB] listening to The Saga: TWA

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 03:27:34 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> From: Marian Lesslie <marianlesslie at gmail.com>
>> (That having been said, some of my favourite bits are in TWA. Like the
>> goldfish, or the punishment for desertion being quartering and the Betan
>> bloke says "but he's been quartered here for a month!" and Baz and Miles
>> roll their eyes at him, or the bit where Miles is on the wacky alcoholic
>> stimulant and Elena couldn't tell, or the bit where they roll Miles'
>> creditor and stuff money *in* his jacket.)
>>
>> Marian
>
> Oh yes, I love that 'quartering' scene, it really emphasises the difference
> in thought between Betans and Barrayarans.
>
> And the way they force the creditor to take his money back, again it's so
> Barrayaran.
>
> I'd forgotten quartering - there's a dizzying array of ways to execute people
> on Barrayar, aren't there.

This was one of the points where I realized that Aral Vorkosigan's
idea of reform and mine are very different.

It's one thing that he ordered executions and very unpleasant
Barrayaran military punishments as an officer in a system he couldn't
change (as he did).

But over a decade after a giant overhaul of the Service initiated by
him as head of the military, the punishment for desertion is -still-
quartering. At that point it's really his fault & responsibility.

It may well be that they don't -actually- quarter people. But they
should take it off the books then. And I wouldn't -assume- they don't.

-Tel