[LMB] Aral's appearance

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 04:03:49 GMT 2011

> From: Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com

> Somebody, I forget where, was asking about Aral's general appearance...
>
> 5'9" and stocky, in his 40s at a fit weight around 180 pounds; higher
> later as the Regency and middle age gained on him. Canonical actor
> closest in appearance and ability to project testosterone by sheer
> visual presence would be the late Oliver Reed, minus the actor's actual
> personality.
>
> From Schrodinger's Cat Carrier: in canon, there are I believe two
> references to the facial scar, one during Ges Vorrutyer's brief
> conversation with Cordelia in _Shards of Honor_, and another than I
> can't locate where some young officer asks if it was a dueling scar, and
> Aral replies dryly "not unless a broken wine bottle is to be
> reclassified as an honor of the Vor."
>
> What I know about the scar that isn't in the text (so the reader is
> actually free to imagine something else, if they wish) is that it was
> the gift of Ges Vorrutyer, during their final and lurid break-up fight,
> and that the emotion driving Ges's hand wasn't sadism, but mortal
> terror. Ges's incipient sadism was on the table as a major issue by
> then, but in this case Aral wasn't the victim, but rather, pretty
> violently rejecting being drawn in as a co-player. If Aral had pulled
> out of his dive and made captain by 28, he likely wasn't any older than
> 26 at this point.
>
> Doubt Serg would have been involved with Ges yet, as the prince only
> would have been in his mid-teens at this point
>
> Any more detail would be deduction and speculation, even from me, but
> that's the shape of the box it goes in. Or comes from, perhaps.
>
> Meow, L.

Thank you! Ohh yes it's good to know those details. And I KNEW Olly was
just right for it, physically. Careless of him to die before he got to play the
part.

I'm glad to know about the scar, I kept thinking it might be from killing his
wife's lovers, but if he'd had an injury at that time it would have looked too
suspicious and given the game away.

I LOVE this site.

Gwynne