[LMB] OT: seeds & gardens--was OT: bathtubs

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 9 10:08:23 GMT 2011

On 1/8/2011 8:22 PM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> I think you mean CaraCara oranges, which I do adore. Like them better than the usual Navels.

Yes, that is them ... I have a friend who has a caracal cat and I get
the infernal things mixed up half the time. *note. Banzai is grey taupe,
not orange. * <sigh>
>> Thanks for the suggestion of a vendor ... he will definitely be looked at as a supplier of fine vegitude =) We were thinking of just heading out to the fields when they sucker off the vines and mooching since they would be thrown away anyhow =)
> That guy is THE vendor for home&  small scale grape plantings.
>
> Do you know Quady Wines? Essencia and Electra (a lighter version) are orange muscat, where Elysium is Black Muscat. I think it's Rosenblum who also do sweet wines from these grapes, but I have NOT found them up to Quady quality. Quady also makes a zinfandel "port" that they call Starboard.

Rob knows the Quady family.  I like Elysium, but not their port. We
regularly get their stuff. They have a new one to us, Red Electra that
is sitting in the fridge waiting to get tried some evening when I am not
on pain meds =) Most Quady stuff rarely makes it out to the East Coast
unless you have a boozeria willing to order stuff on spec.

Rob's sister's ex husband is from a grower family, the SImonians. Her
father in laws family apparently had the biggest pomegranite orchards
outside the middle east. [met him at the wedding, he is nice, his son is
an absolute prat though] I will say one thing about them [other than she
says that they said we could pick up plants from them that are not
normally available outside industry resources] they are not stingy with
her when it comes to the kids - they gave her the marital house and all
its contents, and an amazingly generous amount of child support, and set
the kids up with very few strings attached college funds. It has been
one of the least acrimonious divorces with kids I have ever seen.
>> I love odd varieties/heirloom stuff hence the seedless black muscats =) Half the fun of garden planning is comparing plant varieties =)
> Most of my fruit/nut/vegetable plantings have been varieties I cannot easily get at market: heirloom vegetables, "antique" fruit trees, and not-commercial-around-here varieties.
>
> After tasting heirloom tomatoes, I do not willingly eat modern commercial varieties from the store, nor tomatoes at all out of season. They are seldom fully ripe, and strawberries out of season are seldom ripe at all.
We prefer to go to a pick it yourself berry farm for blueberries and
strawberries. We don't normally eat raspberries, blackberries, currents
unless a recipe specifically calls for them No idea why, probably
because we are not used to finding a you pick it with them around and we
got tired of the crappy ones in grocery stores. We buy other fruit from
the orchards that grow them, Holmburg Orchards is our favorite locally.
> One vendor, Hillsdale Farms, has 140 varieties of apples, and at least 25 varieties of pear. Most of the apples I love are late-harvest (deep autumn) varieties, Winesap being the most common. Samples *are* available!
>
> Marina
> --
I just prefer to support heirloom stuff because monoculture is boring.
Red and Yellow Delicious apples are boring, mealy and blandly sweet,
Macs are pretty much generic bland appleness. I want something with a
bit of texture, crunch and complex taste. My preferred cooking apple
from Western NY apparently isn't commonly cultivated any longer, the '20
oz apple' an absolutely huge tart cooking apple, 3 of them could fill an
8 inch pie crust *sigh* close in taste to a Granny Smith and twice the size.