[LMB] OT: heirloom plants, was bathtubs

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Sun Jan 9 14:44:59 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "mtraber251" <mtraber251 at earthlink.net>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: bathtubs

> On 1/8/2011 1:25 PM, Mori wrote:
>> For heirloom varietals, I found a place when I was last going through
>> Petaluma, CA that has more of them than I was entirely aware existed.
>> Their website is http://rareseeds.com/ . I picked up a paint-can-full set
>> of seeds, and planning on planting some of them come spring (going to
>> start with corn, tigger melons, candycane beets, and some chocolate
>> habaneros)
>>
>> ~Mori
> Definitely going to check them out. I have several friends who also like
> heirloom goodies Ill pass the site to as well.
>
> I wish that some of the preserved historical locations I have visited
> before would replant in proper heirloom varieties - it would be so nice to
> see what may have originally been planted =)

Massachusetts has organizations such as The Trustees of Reservations which
has multiple historic properties, and other organization, some independent
on their own 501c3 groups, which own and operate historic properties.
Examples

Gore Place in Waltham raises its own heirloom plants, and the Lyman Estate
in Waltham also I think--and some of the plants in the greenhouse complex
there have been there a couple centuries I think....

Another source of heirloom plants is Old Stubridge Village.

Stevens-Coolidge Place in North Andover has an heirloom rose garden and an
annual plant sale.