[LMB] OT Children and overkill - was Pre-adult sexuality

Whit Johnstone whitinohio at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 16:13:16 GMT 2011

I didn't put ages with my suggestions because I'm not actually a parent, so
I don't have any concrete experience about what responsibilities should be
given at what ages.  I'm sure that varies from kid to kid, anyway.  I just
know that the "wrap them in tissue paper and keep them in a drawer" style of
parenting really did not work in my case.  I'm struggling in graduate school
because I have no idea how I can motivate myself to study, and I have no
idea of how to keep track of due dates- my mom always took care of that for
me.  My apartment used to look like a pigsty because I was used to my mess
magically cleaning itself up.  And at work I am unable to take any action
without getting my boss' permission first, since I was always punished if I
just did something and took responsibility for it as a kid.  I learned that
my way was always the wrong way, and that any actions that I took would have
no real consequences.  I don't want to raise my kid that way.  I know from
experience that you need to learn about the consequences of failure before
you really want to succeed.

What's worse, this helicopter parenting did nothing to shield me from
physical or emotional bullying at school- indeed, it deprived me of the
strength I needed to fight back.  Mind you, I'm not advocating a return to a
"boys will be boys" attitude toward such things, or a return to the time
when a boy who falls out of a tree is told to man up and dust himself off
rather than being taken to the emergency room to check for broken bones.
Kids do need to know that their parents will back them up if they are in the
right, and that their parents care about their welfare.  But if my kid wants
to play video games rather than doing his or her homework while in middle
school, I would let him, so that he will have learned that this is a bad
idea by the time he leaves for college. After all, in primary and secondary
school, repeating a class is free and there is no such thing as academic
probation.