[LMB] OT Children and overkill

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Sun Jan 9 19:11:00 GMT 2011

On 2011-01-09 12:54 PM, Dusty Jackson wrote:
> 5-year-olds travelling on the bus - alone?
>
> All those depressing posters of lost children that we get asked to pin up in
> my workplace would argue that 5-year-olds are*not*  old enough to travel
> alone!

I think you'll find it's quite reasonable for 5-year-olds to get on the
school bus on their own.  Ten times so when it's on a rural route as was
described in the previous message:

>  I live in  a rural area, so I see a lot of kids who work on the farm, care for animals
>  and are more independent in how they get around. Most of them get the bus to
>  school, as young as 5 years old they'll catch the bus with no problems.

I'd be seriously worried about the development of a 5-year old who
/*couldn't/* get on a school bus in front of his/her own driveway.

In a small town or city, it depends on the culture.  We all walked up to
a mile to school as kindergartners in my moderately small town in Iowa.
They may have had bus pick-up points for the really outlying
neighborhoods before the two new elementary schools were finished but,
if so, they mixed with the rural kid's school buses and we never noticed
them.

Ed