[LMB] OT: Children and overkill

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Sun Jan 9 22:50:31 GMT 2011

On 1/9/11 10:54 AM, Dusty Jackson wrote:
> 5-year-olds travelling on the bus - alone?
>
> All those depressing posters of lost children that we get asked to pin up in
> my workplace would argue that 5-year-olds are *not* old enough to travel
> alone!

How many of them got lost on the way to/from school and how many of them
were abducted by family members in ways completely unrelated to
transportation?

ObBujold: Cordelia and Aral believed in making their young child
competent at living dangerously (including being undrownable at 5)
Although Miles wouldn't have been allowed to the bus stop without
Sergeant Bothari -- in his case the risk of abduction/murder was
objectively significant.

Agnes