[LMB] OT: Children and overkill

Cromett, Shawn C scromett at purdue.edu
Mon Jan 10 18:24:45 GMT 2011

Message: 12
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:16:18 +0100
From: Anke Wehner <anke.wehner at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Children and overkill
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
	<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>

>Dusty Jackson <dustyjackson at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Free-Range kids" are a nice idea, but we are not still
> living in the 1960's.

Anke makes a very good point:

>Anybody know about a source that really tried to find out if the "good
>old times" actually had less bad things happening than now, or if now
>just seems worse because of more media attention (up to fear-mongering)
>or changed attitudes?

It's mainly fear mongering.  In the U.S. Australia & NZ, and Europe, unless you live in a neighborhood with active gang violence, you are probably now safer from other humans than any time in history.  Try reading about life in a 19th Century London or New York slum, and you'd have a much more realistic appreciation of what a dangerous society would be like.

If I had any children, I'd be far more worried about the risks from traffic than anything else, and the risks there are much lower than in the 1960s.

Shawn Cromett

"Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish."