[LMB] OT: Children and overkill

Stacey Hill stacey at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 10 21:50:14 GMT 2011

----- Original Message ----
From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

On Jan 10, 2011, at 1:06 PM, Stacey Hill wrote:

> And we had mad gunmen going nuts and shooting people back in 1941 here in
> backwater NZ.  If you look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer -
> there is a flurry of events in the late 80's but the majority are in the last
>20
>
> years - due to global advertising I wonder?

Our behavior is largely peer driven.   We see instances such as the soldiers in
the break up of Yugoslavia committing atrocities.   We look for a norm to decide
how to behave.   People who are too far away from that norm are called
deviates.   *snip*

Well colour me deviant and proud of it!  Who wants conform and be boring and
beige?  Tho I suppose there is percieved value in mass protective colouration
:) Seriously, you live your life by the dictates of what other people think?
Well I think thats really sad, quite frankly.

And how exactly is atrocities in Yugoslavia likely to be a danger to children in
the surburban US?  Or any other country thats not directly next door?

Stacey