[LMB] listening to The Saga: TWA

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 10 22:56:33 GMT 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 12:25:03PM -0800, Becca wrote:
> for some reason unknown, I've decided to listen to the whole Vorkosigan saga, starting at the beginning (rather than just re-reading favorites and favorite passages). I'm finding TWA to be... painful. In fact, so painful that I'm listening to it for a little while, then listening to the next book, going back to TWA for a bit, and then going on to the next book after that (I'm in the middle of Cetaganda).
>
> Does anyone else have this reaction to TWA?

When I first read it, I was about 20 and it was _hilarious_, laugh-out-loud-
and-scare-the-cats (if I'd had cats) funny.

About five years ago, I picked it up again, and while it was still funny,
I realized that I'd never seen how much it _hurt_.  Miles breaks plenty
more than just bones in that story.  It's almost too painful to pick up.
(Maybe I should try it again and see if I can achieve a more balanced
perspective?)

I don't think it's related to coming-of-ageness; sure, there are the usual
_bildungsroman_ problems (fail at desired goal; parents that don't quite
Get It; bad romantic decisions).  It's some of the other stuff that
really hurts.

Tony Z

--
Christmas Day is being spent in a Hobbittean state of nature.
Barefoot, well-fed and vaguely contemplative, in other words.