[LMB] A Klingon Christmas Carol

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 23:27:19 GMT 2011

Andrew: Gowron's line in turn refers to an old story about the universality
of Shakespeare in other cultures than English, where a German scholar is
said to have observed in all seriousness that he greatly preferred
"Shakespeare in the original German".  I tried to find a reference to this

Could be lots of things, I'm afraid -- 'unser Shakespeare', 'our
Shakespeare', is an old trope in German culture. See, frex ...

http://www.sllf.qmul.ac.uk/research/anglogerman/docs/shakespeare%20is%20german.pdf
 [takes a while to load, because it has lots of pics]

a programme for a recent series of events at Shakespeare's Globe in London.

Director of Studies in English, St Catharine's College

www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk