[LMB] barrayaran authority

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Tue Jan 11 17:38:56 GMT 2011

David said:
>   I imagine one of the knottiest problems of
> Barrayaran jurisprudence is the collision between Vor Power and
> Legal Power, so to speak. <snip>

Things are changing fast on Barrayar, so it's hard to say. But I would argue that until the fairly recent past (pretty much Aral's lifetime>), Vor power *was* legal power.  The Counts had their own laws. Pretty much the way US States do now. The difference being, if the Emperor was strong enough, he was an overriding power.

> Tel points out that Yuri got into trouble for doing this, but that
> trouble was revolt, not being prosecuted; de facto not de
> jure.

Which argues to my mind that no one felt recourse to law to be effective or practicable.  Not while Yuri was bringing out the death squads.

> The implication is that the emperor's authority is
> still (at least on paper) absolute; ACC also implies that Gregor can
> 'authorise' assassinations, if he sees fit.

Yes. Absolutely. I'd go so far as to say it implies that Gregor not only can but does authorise assassinations from time to time.

namaste,
elizabeth