[LMB] legal and moral implications of the death of Serg

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Tue Jan 11 18:26:40 GMT 2011

--- On Tue, 9/21/10, Tel <teluekh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's illegal under Barrayaran customary law too. Serg is a
> lord of the Vor with the rights of that rank, including
> trial by his peers in the Council of Counts for treason/what
> have you.
>
> Infringing on those rights is what got -Yuri- killed,
> recall.

Hmm. You may be right, but I never saw it as quite as abstract as that - not a matter of legal rights.  "You dirty rat, you killed my brother... sister... wife... son... father... godfather... great-granduncle..." When the time came that all the surviving aristocracy was out for his blood because of his mass slaughters, they went after him. Law or no law.

And yes, there were laws detailing how to depose an evil tyrant by dismemberment.

It's a matter for civil war, and not for legal impeachment.

> I'll observe that we don't know if Aral's political officer
> got his orders from Ezar or not - to you, that makes all the
> difference, to me, it doesn't alter his criminality in the
> slightest.

Could you explain?  Ezar wanted rid of the political officers - so did Aral - what did the political office do that you're citing as criminal?

(I apologize if this is horrendously stupid of me to ask - I think some of the messages from last autumn have been erased, or I haven't read them in order.)

> Aral certainly understands what he did at Escobar to be
> criminal - and does it anyway.

Textev?  He believes it to be the most terrible thing he has ever done, but he did it for the good of Barrayar, at his emperor's order. I don't think that translates as 'criminal'.  I might be forgetting a passage.

(Me, forgetting a passage about Aral?  The horror!)

namaste,
elizabeth