[LMB] ACC

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Tue Jan 11 20:26:32 GMT 2011

On 1/11/11 12:06 PM, Paula Lieberman wrote:
>Miles likes -women- as
> -people-, it's not clear that -Aral- does, and not clear that the
> typical Barrayaran male even can. "Women, they're women, women can't be
> pilots" said a dyed-in-the-wool Southern male misogynist bigot to me, to
> whom it was -unthinkable- to consider women as being pilots, and
> particularly military pilots. The concept was not allowed in his
> worldview--and the culture that inculcated him with that, was much like
> the Barryaran culture which produced Aral.

Counterpoint: Drou and the little scene around her participation in the
armsmen training/tournament in Barrayar. Not only does he not protest
against her presence, he gets her in, encourages her, and provides the
final pep talk that gets her to fully express her potential.

I don't think we would see this in a man who cannot imagine women as
being competent in traditionally male fields except for his own
exceptional and how so masculine (?) wife. Aral certainly rose above his
upbringing and his culture, in this and many other things.

And I notice that even Piotr doesn't protest too much about that hand to
hand combat thing. There is the knee jerk reaction about women in
combat, yes, but a man with a Betan for a mother in law and a half-Betan
brought up in a very progressive (and very privileged) household wife
cannot have been that surprised by feminist outbursts.

As for Aral... he seemed happy enough with his first wife. Infatuated,
he says. He drew her, naked and smiling. What he couldn't take, and what
probably motivated his later decision not to remarry I would guess to
have more to do with moderate fear of being betrayed again, larger fear
of what his temper would drive him to do in that situation, niggling
worry about what his father might have done, and the bitter taste left
by guilt what he had felt to be his loss of honor when his involvement
in the duels was ignored. Rather than a yearning for any man.

Agnes