[LMB] OT: Ian McKellen Has Signed On To The Hobbit!

Royce McDaniels roycemcdaniels158 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 23:10:10 GMT 2011

hoo boy.

okay, first of all I'm a PJ "fan" but a Tolkein "fanatic". So while I'll
defend Tolkein's Middle Earth to insane degrees, I won't go that far for pj
and the movie adaptation. It wasn't perfect, far from it,  but it was far
far better than we had any right to expect.

that said, my take on the whole Haldir scene is that he hadn't yet been
briefed on what was going on. The ring's journey was supposed to be *secret*
and elves talk too much (see the discussion by gandalf in the first visit to
rivendell when the elves say hello) so i assume Celeborn and Galadriel were
aware it was "coming" but not details. Also, they expected Gandalf to get in
touch with them (magically, telepathically, whatever) when the fellowship
reached their lands and of course he didn't, being busy being reborn in
Moria. So only *after* Halder sent word that something horrible had arrived
out of moria did C and G realize what was happening and tell him, "geeze,
flower fairy, get those guys up here stat!" (Don't know what the elvish
would be for that, can't allow myself to remember how to speak it or i'll
lose it...)

so i think the scene was perfectably defensible, storywise...

retconning royce