[LMB] A Civil Campaign (Nikki)

Jane Starr jane at starchak.ca
Wed Jan 12 18:43:13 GMT 2011

Quoting Anke Wehner <anke.wehner at gmail.com>:
>> But Nikki lived with Tien for nine years.  He must have picked
>> up, emotionally, on the way Tien treated Ekaterin. I would be
>> surprised if Tien treated Nikki much better - we know he
>> denied him medical treatment that Nikki needed.
>
> I would not overestimate a child's ability to judge their parent's
> behaviour objectively. Particularly if they don't have a lot of
> contact to other families - which seems to apply here, thanks to the
> many moves -, how are they to know that a parent's behaviour is
> abusive, rather than completely normal?

Ekaterine shielded Nikki from as much of his father's behaviour as
humanly possible. She WANTED him to keep his illusions about his da.
Witness the trip that her brother paid for but Nikki recalls as his
father's doing. Nikki did not know he needed medical treatment, she
would never have mentioned money trouble to him, and he would only
have known about the things between his parents that happened in his
presence. I am sure he would have picked up on some issues, but not
the full picture.

We also don't know what Nikki had for comparison.  Tien was impatient
with him in Komarr, and belittled his interest in space ships (don't
have book handy so hope that is a true memory) but did he see enough
of how his friends' fathers treated them to know that wasn't how all
dads were?

Jane