[LMB] AKICOTL: sweating sickness

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:42:20 GMT 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Natali Vilic <natali.vilic at gmail.com>wrote:

> >Yup. Pat mentioned hantavirus, I read that too, and I suppose that mice
> and rats grew quite happily and abundantly in those conditions, in towns as
> in the country.  Certain forms or the similar disease still
> exist, but nowadays we can fight it more efficiently...<

I've also heard they think it was some sort of hantavirus, spread by
rodents.  Also, remember -- even wealthy people bathed infrequently back
then, often wore the same undergarments for days or longer at a time, and
even a rich person wouldn't be suprised to find themselves infested with
fleas.  Mouse comes into a room, forages for food on a rush-strew floor, and
the flea riding on his back jumps off into the ruishes, human walks in, flea
jumps on human ... and viral hilarity results.