[LMB] AKICOTL: sweating sickness

mtraber251 mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 21:43:10 GMT 2011

On 1/12/2011 1:31 PM, Natali Vilic wrote:

> Yup. Pat mentioned hantavirus, I read
> that too, and I suppose that mice and rats
> grew quite happily and abundantly in those
> conditions, in towns as in the country.
> Certain forms or the similar disease still
> exist, but nowadays we can fight it more
> efficiently...
>
> Natali

The problem with hantavirus is the disease would have appeared long
before the tudor era, and been happening since the tudor era. Hanta is
sort of the rodent gift that keeps on giving. You can test darn near any
random mouse and find hanta. If you test a london mouse today, if it had
been hanta, it would test positive for hanta. Besides, sweating is not a
hanta symptom [Rob knows, he had it. He also had valley fever. The
wonders of living in the Central Valley and vacationing in Ajo Az ... ]

Hyperhidrosis is something else entirely. Hanta and Valley fever are
pneumonics, Ebola, Marburg are hemorragics. Yes, sweating can be
expressed - it is the body trying to fight it off. Hyperhidrosis is more
metabolic or parasitic, or liver function. Possibly tuburculosis, which
has been endemic in many eras/locations in history?

Odd thought, metabolic function issues thanks to heavy metal poisoning.
Prevalence of lead and other heavy metals in jewelry, plateware, makeup.

With medical historians, it is also a case of when you have a hammer
every problems is a nail. Most medical historians are not actually
practicing epidemologists. Many of them are only armchair historians
with pet projects.