[LMB] A Civil Campaign (Nikki)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Wed Jan 12 22:15:27 GMT 2011

--- On Wed, 1/12/11, Anke Wehner <anke.wehner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would not overestimate a child's ability to judge their
> parent's behaviour objectively. Particularly if they don't have a
> lot of contact to other families - which seems to apply here,
> thanks to the many moves -, how are they to know that a parent's
> behaviour is abusive, rather than completely normal?

By how that parent makes them feel.  My point is that Nikki wouldn't see Tien objectively - he'd see him as a close family member, someone with whom he had constant contact.  He'd know what he was like.

And since Nikki himself wasn't like that, whether he thought it was normal or not, he'd pick up on the tensions.

As we see him doing in the text.

namaste,
elizabeth