[LMB] Audio or visual?

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:15:28 GMT 2011

Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> The usual division that I've encountered is "speech tags" for the he-saids
> and their variants -- she shouted/hissed/whispered, etc.
>
> And "stage business" for bits of description that indicate the speaker but
> are not speech tags.
[...]
> Remaining arguable are bits of stage business used as speech tags that don't
> actually describe the speech -- such as one of my favorite Heyer-isms,
> "Yes," he bowed.

That particular example reminds me of a footnote in The Amazing
Maurice and his Educated Rodents, which is one of my favourite books
ever.

"It's hard to translate 'sir' into Rat. The rat word for 'sir'  isn't
a word; it's a momentary crouch, indicating that, just at the moment,
the crouching rat is prepared to accept that the other rat is the
boss, but that the other rat shouldn't get funny about it."

Anke

--
http://ankewehner.de