[LMB] AKICOTL: sweating sickness

Gretchen Wright gretchen.wright at rcn.com
Thu Jan 13 01:16:32 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Natali Vilic
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:59 AM
To: 'Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.'
Subject: Re: [LMB] AKICOTL: sweating sickness

Which reminded me: The Tudors just started on our TV, and we were last
night watching the episode with the outburst of the sweating sickness.
I could not find any good explanation of what that actually was,
while briefly googling - is it determined yet, what caused it?

---------------------------
This article -- which is a bit long, but fascinating, was linked to from the
wikipedia article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3874/is_200101/ai_n8939673/?tag=content;col1

Executive summary: Hantavirus almost fits. In particular the signs point to
a rodent vector, because the weather patterns in the specific years when the
'sweate' occurred would have favored a population surge of rodents. But, the
epidemiological pattern of the 'sweate' also suggests human-to-human
transmission (groups of people were all infected at the same time, and young
adult males were most heavily hit suggesting that they passed it around in
taverns). And human-to-human transmission has never been documented for
hantavirus in modern times.

Thanks for bringing up the topic -- I love stuff like this!

Gretchen