[LMB] Animals

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu Jan 13 03:05:04 GMT 2011

--- On Wed, 1/12/11, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering about animals on Barrayar.
>
> We know there's horses. And cats.

Because Miles interacts with both.  Things that crop up in Miles' life, in the books, we know.

> Usually aristocratic families in that sort of culture also
> have dogs all over the place - especially hunting dogs. There's
> mention of hunting, I was wondering about dogs.

Dogs are mentioned - well, one dog.  Bothari.  He sees himself as Cordelia's dog.

> Also - Miles mentions that Piotr taught Gregor to hunt,
> which he didn't much like but did it because it was Vor. What
> were they hunting? Miles just says 'beastie'.

Moose?  I postulate that because often (to my ears) Miles' part of Barrayar sounds a little like Canada. (Where pines and maples grow.)

> And where the heck did that elephant come from? Do they
> have zoos? I can't imagine they'd keep elephants alive
> during the ToI.

Would wild elephants find enough to eat?

> Cows? Goats? Pigs? Sheep? Kangaroos? What's out there, in
> the wilds?

Birds? Can anyone remember birds being mentioned?

> Please don't make me read all the books again looking for
> animal references. Someone help?

If animals (besides butterbugs) are mentioned in the last part of ACC, I'll let you know.

As for rereading... we're all chronically about to reread one of these books at some time soon, right?

namaste,
elizabeth