[LMB] Audio or visual?

SueN sejnbook-lmb at yahooxtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 13 09:43:10 GMT 2011

Gwynne said:

I like it when the voice fits the content,

Me:
That is a big thing for me:  I never even noticed the American accent when I
listened to Little Women, but two sentences into the same publishers recording
of The Wind in the Willows I switched off and returned it to the library. Too
English a story to be bearable in an American accent for me.  On the other hand
I could probably cope with virtually anything read well in a NZ accent. ie there
is how people in in the book would speak, and how everyone (around me) speaks;
anything else may grate.  This is of course ignoring the fact that UK, and US
have very considerable regional variations in accent...

Depends too on how specifically placed a book is.  Wind in the Willows, Harry
Potter,  Swallows and Amazons are all very British stories - they wouldn't
happen in the US - Little Women & Anne of Green Gables,  are very North American
(US & Canada)- they wouldn't happen in the UK. Other books could happen pretty
much anywhere.

Sue N