[LMB] Animals

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:54:20 GMT 2011

Gwynne Powell is wondering about animals on Barrayar

> Usually aristocratic families in that sort of culture also
> have dogs all over the place - especially hunting dogs. There's
> mention of hunting, I was wondering about dogs.

I get the feeling Lois is more of a cat person than a dog person.

<snip>

Gwynne Powell:
> Cows? Goats? Pigs? Sheep? Kangaroos? What's out there, in
> the wilds?

The native "bugs", which are described as small and chirping, or
something similar.

Elizabeth Holden:
> Birds? Can anyone remember birds being mentioned?

Well, I remember crates of eggs being mentioned, so precluding any
indication they are duck eggs or something, I'd presume there are
chickens somewhere. Cattle, too, using the same reasoning based on
groats with milk being a breakfast staple.

Given that native flora is generally toxic, and terraforming is slow,
maybe there is not enough room and earth-descendant vegetation to
support feral big animals.

Anke

--
http://ankewehner.de