[LMB] AKICOTL: sweating sickness

Jean Lamb tlambs1138 at charter.net
Fri Jan 14 03:34:52 GMT 2011

I wonder if the sweating sickness was a milder variant of the plague--we
already know three of them, bubonic, pneumonic and septicemic. It apparently
transmitted both through contact with fleas and by human to human contact,
which the plague did (I would not have volunteered to be Anne Boleyn's
laundress, anyway). The sweating sickness could have been one path the
disease could have taken to become a standard childhood disease, but which
failed (other diseases like the mumps, measles etc. may have started in a
far more toxic form only to become 'domesticated' so to speak).

Just thinking out loud.

Jean Lamb
tlambs1138 at charter.net
http://mollylikesmovies.blogspot.com/