[LMB] Audio or visual?

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Fri Jan 14 04:28:13 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of SueN
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:43 AM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Subject: Re: [LMB] Audio or visual?

Gwynne said:

I like it when the voice fits the content,

Me:
That is a big thing for me:  I never even noticed the American accent when I
listened to Little Women, but two sentences into the same publishers
recording of The Wind in the Willows I switched off and returned it to the
library. Too English a story to be bearable in an American accent for me.
On the other hand I could probably cope with virtually anything read well in
a NZ accent. ie there is how people in in the book would speak, and how
everyone (around me) speaks; anything else may grate.  This is of course
ignoring the fact that UK, and US have very considerable regional variations
in accent...

Depends too on how specifically placed a book is.  Wind in the Willows,
Harry Potter,  Swallows and Amazons are all very British stories - they
wouldn't happen in the US - Little Women & Anne of Green Gables,  are very
North American (US & Canada)- they wouldn't happen in the UK. Other books
could happen pretty much anywhere.

Sue N

====================================
NEW from JRJ> Just listened to Gaudy Night by Sayers, adapted by BBC for
radio prez, only two cd discs.  It was full cast and must have been even
more bewildering to anyone who didn't know the book at all - all those
female dons speaking without an easy way to track who it is.  But I've
finally heard a full-cast sample, at least.  Other scripts, with fewer
characters, would be better choices, but of course I only chose it because
it was Sayers.  I'm thinking "Clouds of Witness" would do well as a radio
dramatization.

Ian Carmichael, if he were reading a whole audiobook, has a voice that seems
a bit flavorless.  Only had so many lines in the radio prez, however.  As a
Usonian,* I can only guess why Ian Carmichael as a reader is so off-putting
to so many, but if forced to guess should think that his accent is not posh
enough for Lord Peter, and would be too uninflected for a whole book
reading.  Is that it?

* http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Usonian   Synonyms - (Inhabitant or citizen
of the United States of America): American, US American, United Statesian,
US-ian, Usanian

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone