[LMB] e-book links for THE SPIRIT RING and "Winterfair Gifts"

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Tue Jan 18 02:05:53 GMT 2011

[LMB] e-book links for THE SPIRIT RING and "Winterfair Gifts"
Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 21:39:34 GMT 2011

(snips)

Do Baen and Fictionwise ebook sales pay a percentage of the take that
is a laughable pittance? Seems pretty likely that amazon would sell
more units and pay out more in all, but since you mentioned percentage
specifically, now I'm curious.

***  You made me curious, too, so I looked it up.  As of my most recent
contracts, which aren't all that recent anymore:

On e-books, Baen pays 20% of net receipts, Fictionwise 40% of gross
receipts, and Amazon 70% of gross receipts for domestic sales, 35% overseas.

The one sales quarter that all my Fictionwise titles mysteriously
appeared on Amazon, unit sales increased about seven-fold.

I don't have royalty rates for Nook or iTunes.  i shall ask.

(On hardcovers, for comparison, publishers pay 10 - 15% of cover price,
and of paperbacks -- this is where we get down to the pittance --  6% -
10%, per unit sold.  [I.e., up to 94% of what you plunk down on the
counter for a new book goes to someone not the writer.]  So far, my
e-books sell in the hundreds, new-release hc and mmpb in the tens of
thousands.  (Old titles go down to hundreds per half-year, though.)
This may be starting to tip.)  ***

Note that I only have e-rights to dispose of from a few older, stray, or
out-of-print titles.  All my recent (within the last decade) publisher
contracts take care to lock up e-rights, control exclusive to the
publisher.  ***

Doing  some research into the available alternatives before investing
a three-digit sum of money into a piece of hardware with a rather
narrow use is not common sense, but sign of belonging to a deplorable
elite?

*** No.  But the general public just buy and use the things (or get them
as presents).  The geek crowd (my people!) are fussier, in a bewildering
variety of ways.

"elite" /= "deplorable", though it may  = "noisy".

Maybe it's just that 150 euros or so is a bit much for me to plunk
down on a whim.

Anke

***  You're talking about the price of the razor, with which I have
nothing to do.  I only sell razor blades.  :-)

Ta, L.