[LMB] e-book links for THE SPIRIT RING and "Winterfair Gifts"

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 03:35:25 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold
<lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> ***  You made me curious, too, so I looked it up.  As of my most recent
> contracts, which aren't all that recent anymore:
>
> On e-books, Baen pays 20% of net receipts, Fictionwise 40% of gross
> receipts, and Amazon 70% of gross receipts for domestic sales, 35% overseas.
>
> The one sales quarter that all my Fictionwise titles mysteriously appeared
> on Amazon, unit sales increased about seven-fold.
>
> I don't have royalty rates for Nook or iTunes.  i shall ask.
>
> (On hardcovers, for comparison, publishers pay 10 - 15% of cover price, and
> of paperbacks -- this is where we get down to the pittance --  6% - 10%, per
> unit sold.  [I.e., up to 94% of what you plunk down on the counter for a new
> book goes to someone not the writer.]  So far, my e-books sell in the
> hundreds, new-release hc and mmpb in the tens of thousands.  (Old titles go
> down to hundreds per half-year, though.)  This may be starting to tip.)  ***

Sorry if I sounded snippy before... this is interesting though - while
your volume is nowhere near equal, you potentially make more on ebooks
than paperbacks, and a higher percentage, although of a lower amount,
than on hardbacks. So, all in all, I think I've managed to buy books
in such a manner that you made the highest income for the past few
years. And with ebooks coming on the way they are, you may indeed see
some significant number shifts soon.

> Note that I only have e-rights to dispose of from a few older, stray, or
> out-of-print titles.  All my recent (within the last decade) publisher
> contracts take care to lock up e-rights, control exclusive to the publisher.
>  ***

Hmmm, just went to check out Falling Free (I think it was actually the
first of your books I read, possibly picked up on a "grab a paperback,
soldier" stack somewhere) on Amazon - it's interesting that it's noted
as belonging to the category of "Miles Vorkosigan Adventures." I did
request a Kindle version of it.... It and The Spirit Ring, which I did
pick up just after my last response, seem to be the most "orphaned" of
your books.

> *** No.  But the general public just buy and use the things (or get them as
> presents).  The geek crowd (my people!) are fussier, in a bewildering
> variety of ways.
>
> "elite" /= "deplorable", though it may  = "noisy".

My wife got an Alurtek (sp) reader for Christmas from her father and
Stepmom - she'd started using my Palm Tungsten w/Mobipocket on it
after I switched to my Android Phone (Aldiko) and she ran out of
paperbacks and hardbacks on a couple series in which I'd switched to
e-books.

Then my Dad bought a Kindle right after Christmas, estimating that in
a year he'd save the price of the gadget in the price differential
between ebooks and the hardbacks he normally buys. Plus it's going to
be easier to lug on a trip to Israel in a couple of months than a
comparable number of books.... Now we've got to convert my mom. I
wonder what it would take to convince Amazon to put Solitare on the
Kindle?

> ***  You're talking about the price of the razor, with which I have nothing
> to do.  I only sell razor blades.  :-)

Except that it's inverse to the razor and razor blades somewhat - the
razor is expensive, the blades less expensive in the ebook world. And
keeping those blades less expensive is going to continue to help
selling razors.

--
Jeff Shultz
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com