[LMB] Komarr and Rho Ceta (map)

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 08:29:56 GMT 2011

> From: Tel teldreaming at gmail.com

> > So no different to what it was when a few rich families held a
> > stranglehold on political power. In fact, according to one of your
> > than before.
>
> That's not what I said in the slightest, Gwynne. Less chance.

"Komarr wasn't a pure democracy, but as a modern technological society
it was far more free than Barrayar and remains so even under
occupation, by the evidence of female migration. Opportunities exist
through trade and entrepreneurship for ordinary Komarrans to get rich,
and new families are admitted into the elite, unlike on Barrayar. Too,
-all- the children of the elite can inherit power, instead of one son
getting the entailments, so wealth and influence spreads further
around and diminishes."

Apart from that there's a lot of speculation, and we can't know what
the real situation is when we don't have textev as absolute proof. We
do have constant comments about efforts to improve relations with
Komarr, and since Komarrans are sending lobbyists to Barrayar, to
change or influence government policy, there is obviously a reasonable
degree of freedom to express opinion in peacable ways.

Have either of us covered any new ground on this in our last few posts?
Maybe we can just agree to disagree on this.

Gwynne