[LMB] OT: toasts (was Komarr and Rho Ceta)

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 18 18:41:53 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:10:59AM -0800, Tom Vinson wrote:
> Gwynne mentioned in passing:
> > Sort of like waving your wine glass over your water
> > glass while you make the loyal toast, isn't it?
>
> This is cultural background which I have been deprived
> of.  Could you elucidate?

It's an English thing, after the Glorious Revolution of 1688
the old King (James II Stuart) was "over the water" in France
across the Channel.  So if you were holding your wine glass
over the water glass you were toasting the king "over the water",
meaning you were still loyal to the Stuarts instead of those
upstart Hanoverians (George I-IV; by Victoria's reign I think
this had mostly gone by the wayside).

Tony Z

--
Online plagiarizing is easy to do, but even easier to catch.
--Paleojudica