[LMB] Woot! Ladies, Gentlemen and Gentleherms, we have FOUND Pol!

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 18 23:34:34 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 03:14:00AM -0500, Walter Bushell wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Royce McDaniels wrote:
>
> > The world in question was a frozen iceball until the sun expanded (it's in
> > jupiter's orbit, see followon post). As for the time it takes to evolve
> > things, i can't say we know enough to really guess that. nature always
> > surprises us!
> >
> Quite and we would be very pleased to find a world with a good
> photosynthesizing  life, but Komarr was settled without breathable
> atmosphere. Hmm, Beta is no better.

Beta was settled for lack of choice -- what was marginally habitable and
reachable from Earth, or possibly even a gamble where they didn't know
what would be there -- and Komarr because of the wormholes.  Certainly a
lifeless planet can be settled -- you build a 'space station', but on
the surface -- the question is more of why one chooses to do so.  Pol
doesn't seem to have anything particularly going for it location-wise,
except maybe being a service station between Komarr and Hegen,
especially before a-grav and faster ships were developed.  IIRC Beta and
Komarr are the only crapsack worlds mentioned, though there's Hegen,
Kline, and quaddiespace for systems without worlds at all.

I feel like making Abh analogies but I'll resist derailing.

-xx- Damien X-)