[LMB] ACC

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 19 00:05:48 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 09:54:10AM -0500, Paula Lieberman wrote:

> However, lots of people in -this- world have downsized out of ever-larger
> McMansions into condos in places where cars are an inconvenience and
> everything is within easy walking distance--and are RELIEVED to have the
> convenience and the departure of the car, the large house, hoards/hordes
> of possession, the dusting, etc.!  Someone I know who moved from what

Cordelia has servants to dust and chauffeur.  And while lots of
Americans are discovering the joy of re-gentrified urban living, others
still like their space.  And if you can have both space and centrality
or importance, well...

As Cordelia said, democrats adjust to aristocracy just fine if they get
to be the aristocrats.

(Well, materially.  I've stayed with friends in Chile, who have a
30-hour/week maid, which is great for raising kids and they seem fine,
but I'm over there having class guilt and wondering who's helping the
maid with raising *her* kids, eh?  OTOH while I still had my instinct to
do my own dishes, I was happy to let her dust, do my laundry, and clean
up everyone else's dishes.

Anyway, lots of fanfic potential in the more mundane details of
Cordelia's adjustment.  How did a proud egalitarian adjust to having a
horde of scurrying servants?  Did she upset things by trying to treat
them as equals?  Does she still feel a hidden twinge of guilt when she
pulls "I *own* you" on some District doctor?)

-xx- Damien X-)