[LMB] ACC

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Wed Jan 19 00:22:29 GMT 2011

On 1/18/11 4:05 PM, Damien Sullivan wrote:

> Anyway, lots of fanfic potential in the more mundane details of
> Cordelia's adjustment.  How did a proud egalitarian adjust to having a
> horde of scurrying servants?  Did she upset things by trying to treat
> them as equals?  Does she still feel a hidden twinge of guilt when she
> pulls "I *own* you" on some District doctor?)

She probably just thought of them as part of the chain of command and
herself as the captain of that specific ship. I don't see her having
that many problems adapting in _Barrayar_. And the Vorkosigan household
is not that formal.

I am puzzled about the part readin "as equals". Servants are employees,
not backward children. Respect them as professionals (and be a humane
boss) and there is nothing about the relationship that should be
disturbing. You mention the maid at your friends' and it just blows my
mind. Do you volunteer to do the dishes in restaurants? Do you vacuum
your office?

As for the "I own you"... That's what I love about Cordelia. She knows
what words will get her results, always. And after all that bitching
about Barrayarans!(tm)... she has become more one of them than she is
aware of!

Agnes