[LMB] Komarr and Rho Ceta (map)

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 19 01:12:24 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 07:50:44PM -0500, Walter Bushell wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Damien Sullivan wrote:
>
> > I've noted before the quaddies are frigging rabbits.  1000 to 1 million
> > in 200 years is doubling every 20 years.  Replicators and strong
> > communality and long lifespan probably help, but still.  And they have
> > to build new living space from scratch.
>
> Quaddies are very very work oriented. Perhaps, the population
> explosion is a reason for this. But doubling every 20 years requires
> what, less than 5 children per couple spread over a long life. And the
> women don't have to carry to term. They may be expanding the
> population for military-political ends.

Yeah, looked at that way the numbers don't look big.  But compared to
any real world country it's huge.  I don't think even poor agricultural
countries in the grip of "death rates just collapsed but birth rates
haven't" double that fast.

I'm not saying it's wrong or anything like that.  I'm just saying it's
very exceptional and noteworthy.

-xx- Damien X-)