[LMB] ACC

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 02:19:47 GMT 2011

--- On Wed, 1/19/11, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> That's a very modern attitude, and not what you seem to find in societies
> that actually have very wealthy upper classes with hordes of live-in
> servants.  It's what Cordelia would try, but not necessarily what the
> servants would expect or know how to respond to, let alone what Piotr,
> Aral, or Alyc would tell her to do.

But it *could* be a major contributing factor to the Cult of Cordelia rampant in Vorkosigan House (textev: Enrique's conversion to it was openly stated to be the only reason why nobody killed him when he blocked all the toilets with the bug butter).  People generally respond positively to being acknowledged.

(Another fictional example: in the 1632 series, in Amsterdam, being a servant in the house of the American Admiral and his wife is considered *the* job of choice, because the employers there know your name and use it, address you directly and politely and say please and thank-you - to the point where the native characters actually reference the servants' extraordinary service and loyalty.)

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.