[LMB] Komarr and Rho Ceta (map)

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 19 07:00:29 GMT 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:40:48PM +1100, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> > A democratic principle allows for a rather wide range of specific
> > structures; democracy is only "one structure" on a classical-Greek level
> > model where you've got monarchy, oligarchy, and democracy as the options.
>
> Totally agree! I'm sure that with their technology there's more
> possible forms of government.

Not sure which part you're agreeing with.  Abstract enough, and there's
only 4 pure choices: no ruler, one ruler, few rulers, everyone rules.
Technology doesn't matter, we're logically complete.

Get into details, and technology can make democracy more viable on a
larger scale, or anarchy more or less self-defeating, or a single ruler
who isn't self-interested.  Get into other details, and technology is
irrelevant or minimally relevant: how many houses of the legislature,
are there recall elections, how do you count the votes.  There's also
hybrids: modern 'democracies' could mostly be called oligarchies in the
sense that a few people make formal decisions at any time, but those
oligarchies are democratically checked every 2-6 years.

But the arguments you and Tel and I have are back at the Greek
philosophy stage: should Barrayaan government be grounded in democracy?
If not, the alternatives are monarchy and oligarchy, and Barrayar
doesn't have or use the tech to radically change the nature of those
(i.e., human nature), the way the Cetagandans might.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:53:27PM +1100, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> > Of course, Barrayaran labor has to be educated and civilized up. You'd
> > think of all people the Cetagandans could go for a Brave New World or
> > azi approach in producing new workers... maybe they do! Not like we've
> > seen the servitor classes.
> >
> In 'Cetaganda' Miles asks about cloning servants. He's told that the Ghem
> do mass cloning of servants, but the Haut make each one separately as
> a work of art.

Ah, I keep forgetting that passage.  Lots of fic potential there.
Creepy fic.

-xx- Damien X-)