[LMB] OT: Cloned Mammoths Coming Soon, Order Yours Now!

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Thu Jan 20 02:17:53 GMT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of Claire Nollet
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:27 AM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Cloned Mammoths Coming Soon, Order Yours Now!

The polar ice caps are melting.  I can just hear the thoughts of the first
mammoth who comes back:  "Damn, it sure got warm in the last 50,000 years.
And me with no way to take off my coat."

====================================
NEW from JRJ> Circuses and zoos would use a blowtorch to singe off the
domestic elephant's hair (just wave it nearby, not burn the skin).  But
Mammoths have too much wool for that.

Actually, do they have enough evidence to say if their whatever was wool,
fur, hair like the haut, or what?  So is the name, "wooly" ok?  (Had to look
that up, and turns out the British usage is "wooley" which explains why I
was all confused.)  Or "wooley" - which is used in scientific taxonomy,
anyway?

--
Entwife Judy
Who doubts if the status quo is ever well enough to be let alone