[LMB] Other forms of democracy

Jean Lamb tlambs1138 at charter.net
Thu Jan 20 02:53:14 GMT 2011

One form of democratic was mentioned in passing in MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS
and actually utilized in THE PROBABILITY BROACH--people who are bored with
politics and meetings sign on with a 'proxy' who would represent them. With
recent mobile phone technology, it would be relatively easy to shift to
another proxy that you liked better (or bought you booze, another fine old
election tradition). This way, people would be represented by someone they
actually agreed with, and representatives' votes could be weighted by the
number of their hangers-on. Even the most exciting um, niches, could easily
have a representative, and with observers from WikiLeaks it's doubtful that
backroom deals would remain secret for very long. Reps could tweet, 'I'm
planning on voting for Bill Number Whatsit, it has a bunch of money for a
new bird sanctuary, y'all with me?" to his or her fellow Audobon fanatics.
This would be an interesting shift to the representation by living district,
which as we all see leaves out a number of people in each district.

This could (boldly moving the topic to ObBujold) explain how Steady Freddy
got elected; nobody would admit to voting for him because he represents the
Orb--oh, wait, that wouldn't work, sending out 'blackmail' pictures would
only result in demand for 8 X 10 colored glossies. But I'm sure he could
have a constituency that might find it um...interesting explaining just
_why_ they voted for him.

Jean Lamb
tlambs1138 at charter.net
http://mollylikesmovies.blogspot.com/