[LMB] A Civil Campaign (Nikki)

Andrew Barton andrew.157barton at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 20 09:27:00 GMT 2011

> > >Gwynne wrote *snip* I'm sure Nikki grieved for his
> lost father - possibly not for Tien himself,
> >>but for the loss of that role in his life. Losing
> Tien didn't really
> > disrupt
> >>his life, since he'd moved around so much already.
> At least this time
> >>he ended up with more family around, and people he
> liked.
<snip>

> From: "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net>
>
> The situation with Gregor is that he'd grown up with the
> image of his father
> as Great Heroic Man--getting out into the Nexus and
> discovered his sainted
> father was actually as sadist homicidal manical mass
> murder, blew up his
> universe.  Nikki though, had grown up his entire life
> witnessing his father
> being abusive.  He did not have a view of Tien as
> Great Heroic Man, he had
> the up close and personal view of Tien as nasty mean
> abuser, bad provider,
> squanderer of income, and belittle of Nikki's mother.

But how much of that did he witness?  Most of Tien's abuse would have been hidden to him.

Having been there myself, I think he'd have sensed that -something- was wrong between his parents but he'd have been too young to be capable of understanding most of the details or even who was responsible.

Gregor's talk seems to have helped him a lot, but I'd think he'll still have a lot of processing to do later in his life.

Andrew