[LMB] OT: toasts (was Komarr and Rho Ceta)

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 22:08:32 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM, mtraber251 <mtraber251 at earthlink.net>wrote:

> On 1/20/2011 12:52 PM, Kevin Kennedy wrote:
>
>> We do like hearing from you.  And hanging out in the hospital is boring,
>> in between rehab sessions and such. We might as well try to provide a little
>> distraction.Keep getting better.
>>
> Be happy, I didn't have the internet when I had interminable months of
> rehab, and no cable TV, and limited numbers of books [that had to be propped
> up for me to handle most of the time as they were hardbacks and *heavy*]
>
> And I bet the food is better now too ... less unseasoned gloopy. Can you
> bounce your jello like a superball? [dont ask]

I got trapped in the hospital unexpectedly a few years ago.  I stopped at
the bookstore on my way in, and grabbed enough books by my favorite authors
to last for 3 days (3 Harry Turtledover AU books in series of his I was
interested in).  Unfortunately, it was a 6-day stay, and I had read all my
books and all the magazines in the hospital gift shop -- well, not all.  I
was not going to read People or some drivel like that.  By the middle of day
#4, I grabbed some poor resident by his tie and hissed at him that if he
didn't get me some medical journals to read (I've been a medical
transcriptionist for 25 years), that I was going to go so crazy, they'd have
to sedate me and put me in 4-point restraints.  I ended up learning quite a
lot about the latest advances in infectious disease.