[LMB] Vor Hatred was Vor Class Permeability

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:39:10 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:05:09AM +0100, Anke Wehner wrote:
>
>> Personally I find it tiresome, particularly because it never seems to stop.
>>
>> Do I like sexism and classism and nepotism? No.
>> But thinking about the parts of the books I dislike it all the friggin
>> time would mean I can't enjoy the bits of the books I do like.
>
> My memory is that it didn't *start* until Gwynne asked "why does Barrayar
> have to become more like Beta".  Before that, gradual change as a
> desirable thing was taken for granted.

Mmm, yes. If people would stop claiming sexism, classism, and nepotism
are positive goods...

There's also a whole lot of "This character is compellingly and
sympathetically portrayed - therefore his opinions and actions must be
right" going on, even when the actions don't match the rhetoric.

I ran across a fascinating example recently - a fanfic I translated
from Russian, set in a future alternate universe, has Miles casually
mention that he forcibly annexed Escobar. A surprisingly large number
of comments on the translation were explicitly amused/approving of
this...

-Tel