[LMB] OT: Horse colours and language (was Counts' colors)

Anke Wehner anke.wehner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 13:08:05 GMT 2011

Kevin Kennedy wrote:
> As in I don't spend very much time around horses and horse
> people.  So I haven't had a chance to learn that brown horse
> is a sorrel, this one is a bay, and the one over there is a
> chestnut.  All just shades of brown.

Katherine Collett:
> It's less about the shade of brown than about the accessorizing-
> -bays have black manes and tails and lower legs, chestnuts'
> manes and tails are the same color as their coats or lighter.
> Sorrel is just another word for chestnut.

That reminds me of a report about a conlang, IIRC for the Song of Ice
and Fire adaptation. "This language amazingly has more than 10 words
for 'horse'!" I'm not much into horses, but even I knew you could
easily find more than that in English before ever getting intp breed
names. Reporters...

Afaik bays are just called browns in German, and chestnuts are called foxes.

Anke

--
http://ankewehner.de