[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 68, Issue 217

Amelia Edwards amelia.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:16:05 GMT 2011

> Why do you have to be physically perfect (or nearly enough) to go for
> USAF, Navy or Army flight training?
>
> 1. They set the rules
> 2. They can get away with it because there are more candidates who
> meet the standard than there are positions.

>They can make exceptions too.  In my pilot training class, we had a captain
who wore glasses - but who had been a navigator for >several years (when his
vision wasn't good enough to be a pilot).

My husband has a slight color deficiency, which isn't enough to keep him
from being a private or commercial pilot, but would exclude him from the
military. In reading up on color blindness and pilots, I found one anecdote
about a pilot who was assigned to the infantry due to color blindness, but
was immediately transferred to a flight crew by an astute officer upon
arrival in Europe because red/green colorblind people can often see through
camo.